President Muhammadu
Buhari has commenced the process of identifying a few fearless and courageous
judges who will be saddled with the responsibility of prosecuting persons who
have been found to have stolen national resources, according to Punch.
Buhari had while
granting audience to members of the National Peace Committee led by Gen.
Abdulsalami Abubakar in the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday disclosed that
the prosecution of the indicted persons would commence in a matter of weeks.
“Those who have stolen
the national wealth will be in court in a matter of weeks and Nigerians will
know those who have short-changed them,” the President had told his guests.
Punch however learnt on Sunday that the prosecution would not be open to “just any
judge.” It was learnt that the
President was committed to ensuring that only judges who would expedite action
on the cases and would be fearless in discharging their duties would be
enlisted for the prosecution.
A source told Punch that was one of the assignments Buhari gave to the Prof.
Its Sagay-led Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption which he set
up on Monday.
The source said it
would not be necessary to set up special courts to try corruption cases since
efforts were already underway to identify judges that would key into the
President’s dream of ensuring that no looter was left unpunished.
He said, “We do not
need to entertain any fear that the prosecution of corruption-related cases
will not be fast enough because many of our courts are already weighed down by
many cases.
“The truth of the
matter is that not all judges will be considered to take up the cases of those
who have stolen our commonwealth.
“As a matter of fact,
one of the assignments the President gave the Presidential Advisory Committee
Against Corruption led by Prof. Sagay is to identify fearless and courageous
judges that will handle the cases.
“The idea is to ensure
that the judges who will handle the cases will not be just any judges. They must
be those who will expedite actions on the cases and discharge their duties with
courage.
“You can see that with
this development, the issue of special courts for corruption cases may not
come. It is about special judges.”
Punch also
gathered that Buhari was already considering withdrawing national honours from
any individual found to have looted the nation’s treasury.
It was learnt that the
President’s position was that the nation should not be seen to be honouring any
fruadulent person.
“The President will not
hesitate to strip any corrupt person of national honour. Can you honour a
person for milking the nation dry? It is irrelevant how long such persons have
been bestowed with the national honours, they will be stripped of them,” the
source said.
When contacted, the
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said
it was reasonable that anybody found to be corrupt should be stripped of
national honours.
Adesina however said
such withdrawal of national honours would not be done until affected persons
had been convicted by competent courts.
“Although it has not
been considered, it is reasonable that those found guilty of corruption should
be stripped of national honours bestowed on them. However, this will not be done
before conviction,” the presidential spokesman said.
- Punch
No comments:
Post a Comment